Sunday, February 23, 2014

Handy Man

Our dishwasher quit working in mid-January.  It was a fifteen year old kitchen appliance, so it came as no surprise that it died, but there's never really a good time for any kitchen appliance to die.  As you know or can probably imagine, this did not come as welcome news for our family of six.  So now it was time to find a new one. Quickly.  We did all the research online and went and touched a few in the big box stores.  When we'd finally decided on one, and when a good deal came along, we took the plunge.  We had to wait a week until the store received it from the manufacturer, and it was another week before I could arrange to go get it from the store.

But then it was finally time to remove our old dishwasher.  And yes, I'm a guy who reads the instructions.  Usually.

Step one was something about getting the dishwasher away from the wall.  Apparently dishwashers are attached to the countertop with screws, and if you just try to yank it out, you'll rip a bunch of decent-sized chunks off your countertop. Just FYI.

Step two was regarding disconnecting the water line.  After I unhooked the copper water pipe from the old dishwasher, I turned off the water supply.  Yes I did it in that ridiculous and backwards order.

So now I'm all wet and I've wrecked the countertop.  I was into it an hour already and I was kinda done with step two out of thirty-eight.  I hadn't even touched the new dishwasher.  It was still in the box!

Over the next two days, I made four separate trips to the hardware store to buy some incorrect parts and a couple tools that I'll probably never use again.  That new dishwasher sat in our kitchen for another TWO WEEKS just tormenting us.  Then Jill finally came to me and asked if she could call a friend of mine to come over and "have a look at it."  WOW.   It's pretty bad when your wife calls your friend over to fix your mess.  But in all actuality, it's a good thing she did because if she hadn't, I know it would still be sitting there, and Sam at Lake Ann Hardware would still be trying to explain to me how to hard wire it, or how to use a copper pipe cutter, or how to create an air gap.

The purpose of me telling you this story is not to share with you that I'm not that good at plumbing.  Actually, it's to tell you that I'm not that good at most home repair tasks yet.  I'm sure you noticed the key word at the end of the previous sentence.  The operative word was "yet."  If I had just said that I wasn't very good, then I would likely just go on believing that I'll never be able to fix stuff around the house.  That would indicate a fixed mindset, and it would end up being a self-fulfilling statement.  I would never get much better.  But the truth is, if I keep working at it, I will get better.  That is a growth mindset oriented statement.



Knowing my areas of deficiencies and shortcomings can actually be more valuable than knowing my areas of strength, that is, if I'm willing to work on them.


Next Week at a Glance:


Monday 2/24: 6th Grade OM 2:30-5:00; 5th/6th Grade Volleyball 7:00-8:30
Tuesday 2/25: 6th Grade OM 2:30-5:00; 6th Grade Martial Arts 2:30-3:30; 5th/6th Grade Volleyball 7:00-8:30
Wednesday 2/26: Odyssey of the Mind Assembly 1:30-2:00; 6th Grade Band Concert 7:00-8:30pm
Friday 2/28: School Newsletter and March Breakfast and Lunch Menus; Popcorn!

Articles you should read today:
Only teachers really know what teachers do - Washington Post and Sarah Blaine's blog, parentingthecore

8 Great thoughts that'll get you going -marc and angel's practical tips for productive living

Videos you should watch today:


You can do whatever you have a passion for

Dog, Baby, Bubbles = can't stop laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment