Monday, February 18, 2013

Fourth Grade

Fourth grade was an amazing year for me.  My dad's job moved our family out of the city of Jackson and into a country home in Greenville, MI. We would only be there for a year, but it would be a definitive year with some great memories.

Many of the best of those memories are from school.  I earned a 100% on the Math and Reading MEAP tests that year.  My teacher, Mr. Scogg, greeted me at the door every morning with a handshake and a "hello," and there was this really cool reading loft I could use when I had all my other work finished.

My attitude and feelings toward school changed a lot that year.  The change was profound. Mr. Scogg believed there was something special and unique about me: perhaps a character trait or other quality.  He believed that there was something about me that could be found only in me.  He convinced me of that.  I knew I had to try my best.  At everything.  He inspired me to be the me that he saw.  

There is no doubt about what made fourth grade my year.  It was Mr. Scogg.  Several studies have shown that of all the school-based factors that go into why kids succeed in school, quality teachers ranks number 1.  It wasn't the MEAP accomplishments.  Or the reading loft.  It was, without a doubt, Mr. Scogg.  He loved doing his job, and he was very good. I had a few quality teachers throughout my school years, and I'm glad one of them was there the year I moved to Greenville in 4th grade.

Great Things Happening At Betsie Valley

All students attended a "Chill Out" Assembly on Tuesday where they learned the importance of being safe while having fun this winter.

Mr. Wassa's class enjoyed a fun day of lunch and recess right in the classroom on Thursday.  Funny how kids enjoy that change, isn't it?

The high school "choir for hire" was at Betsie Valley to serenade kids in kindergarten and 2nd grade.

Kids at both lunchtimes enjoyed the cookies that Mr. Luebke's class sold during the bake sale this week.

During the BACN food drive, Ms. Herban's 4th grade class donated over 250 food items and earned the Ice Cream Party.

All classes are spending time in the new computer lab.  It is tough to find a time to get in there.  Kids are getting more and more comfortable and confident using technology.

Articles & Websites

It's the Working Toward a Goal that Makes People the Most Happy

5 Excuses Kids Give for Not Reading (And Ways to Respond)

My friend Anna's blog, My Life and Kids is a Top 5 Funny Blog in Parenting Magazine.


Videos

Ted Talk: Engaging elementary-age kids online (15 mins)
 


Teachers! (2 mins)
 
 

The Bake Sale this week benefited the 3rd grade field trip to Leelenau
 

A Valentine serenade by the choir visited Mr. Kelly and Ms. Dodge's Room

Ice Cream reward for 4th graders... winners of the BACN Food Drive Competition

This is what my desk looked like at the end of Valentines Day


No comments:

Post a Comment